Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Zumaya's Incident

Now if you happen to be a baseball fan, then you would probably know or at least heard something about Zumaya’s recent incident. Joel Martin Zumaya (born November 9, 1984) is a Major League Baseball relief pitcher for the Detroit Tigers and known for his record-breaking fastballs. Zumaya was drafted out of Bonita Vista High School in the
 11th round by the Tigers, the 320th overall selection of the 2002 MLB Draft.
He was chosen because of his power arm, but it was not clear whether he would be able to develop adequate control of an off-speed pitch. He is known for his 100 MPH fastball. On Monday, June 28, 2010, Zumaya injured his elbow in the eighth inning, while pitching against the Minnesota Twins' Delmon Young at Target Field. He was in obvious pain and needed assistance walking off the field. The next day an MRI revealed he had a non-displaced fracture of the olecranon. Doctors said it will take four months to heal, ending his season.
“It felt like my elbow exploded,” Zumaya said. “Crying in front of 40,000 people is pretty weak. But it’s a lot of pain, and I felt like I had no one on my side. “But when those (fans) got up on their feet and started cheering, and then the entire team was comforting me after the game, it meant a lot to me. I’m happy that I still have a chance, and hopefully things will go the way I want.”

No comments:

Post a Comment